Lei Contest Rules & Application
The 2019 Lei Day Heritage Festival Lei Contest is sponsored by the Maui Historical Society in association with The Haynes Family Foundation, and the L. H. Dorcy Hawaiian Foundation.
Contestants must reside in Maui County. All contestants are allowed one entry per person. All contest submissions must be the contestant’s own original idea, newly completed, never entered in any other contests, exhibitions, or displays and must be conceptualized, created, and completed solely by the contestant. We encourage all age groups and abilities to participate.
EXHIBITION & DISPLAY– Open to the public, one entry per person, no entry fee.
APPLICATION AND CERTIFICATION STATEMENT
Application available to download or call (808) 244-3326. Completed application and waiver are due with submission of entry on or before Tuesday, APRIL 30, 2019. All contest submissions shall be treated as being free of restrictions and limitations on their use, reproduction, and publication. By entering your submission with completed application and signed waiver forms, you grant the Maui Historical Society and Hale Hō`ike`ike/Bailey House Museum permission to hold the artwork for display, photograph, copyright, publish, reproduce, sell, and use in all forms of public media in whatever way deemed appropriate by the Maui Historical Society and Hale Hō`ike`ike at the Bailey House staff, volunteers, and Board of Directors.
Exhibition & Display, Grand Prize and Honorable Mention will be awarded in each category.
Grand Prize: $125 Prize Bundle and One-Year Free MHS Membership
Honorable Mention: $70 Prize Bundle and One-Year Free MHS Membership
- All entries will be judged and awarded by a panel selected by the Maui Historical Society staff.
- There is no procedure for protest; all decisions of the judges are final.
- All entries are required to measure between 24-inches to 30-inches and must remain untied.
- Materials utilized may not exhibit any profanity or be noxious, malodorous, or bedraggled. Materials must be affixed firmly to your lei and not come apart with reasonably careful handling.
- Entries must be accompanied by a completed application and signed certification statement.
- The Maui Historical Society is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage.
- Entries may be picked up after the competition at Hale Hō`ike`ike at the Bailey House between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm on Wednesday, May 1, 2019. All entries not claimed by Wednesday, MAY 1, 2019 AT 4:00 PM BECOME THE PROPERTY OF THE MAUI HISTORICAL SOCIETY/HALE HŌ`IKE`IKE/BAILEY HOUSE MUSEUM. No entries will be held for pickup in our offices beyond this date.
Rules & Guidelines
All lei entries must be between 24-inches to 30-inches long and left untied. Each entry must fall into only one (1) of the following categories:
- FRESH FOLIAGE & FLOWERS– Fresh leaves, flowers, berries, other greens, seaweeds and other fresh foliage gathered from nature within one week of entry submission.
- NATURAL MATERIALS– Includes dried foliage, dried flowers, seeds, beans, shells, feathers, and other natural materials gathered from nature.
- RECYCLED MATERIALS– Recycled and/or reused materials of natural or manmade origin.
All entries for Exhibition & Display must be submitted to Hale Hō`ike`ike at the Bailey House at 2375-A Main Street, Wailuku, Maui, Hawaii 96793, from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, on Tuesday, APRIL 30, 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Judging guidelines by category are as follows:
- Fresh Foliage Category– Entry will be rated on incorporation of fresh and natural foliage and flowers (minimum 90% of visible lei), effective integration of all elements, comprehensive theme, composition and technique, artistic originality, and overall attractiveness.
- Natural Materials Category– Entry will be rated on incorporation of natural materials (minimum of 90% of visible lei), effective integration of all elements, comprehensive theme, composition and technique, artistic originality, and overall attractiveness.
- Recycled Materials Category– Entry must be composed entirely of recycled materials and will be rated on creativity in incorporating these recycled materials, effective integration of all the elements, comprehensive theme, composition and technique, and artistic originality.
- Judging will occur on Wednesday, May 1, 2019 between 10:30 am and 1:00 pm. Prizes and awards ceremony will be held during our live presentation between 1:15 pm and 2:00 pm. Awards will be forwarded by mail for winners who are not present during the live presentation.
- Contestants need not be present to win.
- All winning entries will be notified by phone and/or mail.